Veteran Benefit Programs

Veteran Benefit Programs

About VA Education Benefits

The Financial Aid office of the College makes every effort to ensure that all veterans, dependents, and reservists receive their educational benefits in a timely manner. If you have any questions about applying for VA education benefits, please contact the financial aid office. For other information, including questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) at 1-888-GIBILL1.

VA Chapters for Educational Benefits

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill
Chapter 31 – VA Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 33 – Post 911
Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Chapter 35 – Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA)

Chapter 36 – Counseling Services
Tuition Assistance – for individuals currently on active reserve

State VA – Alabama scholarship for dependents and spouses

More information (1-888-442-4551) or at
VA Counselor Matthew Watkins 251-580-2292

Veteran Information & Forms Needed

Dependent Federal VA Packet
Alabama GI Bill Dependent Packet
Veteran GI Bill Packet

Frequently Asked Questions

Description of Chapters

Chapters 30, 1606, 1607 and 35

These Chapters receive benefits in the form of a monthly check; none of these chapters pay for tuition or books. Muskogee Regional office determines their eligibility.

Chapter 31

This chapter pays for tuition and books and receives a monthly stipend, which is determined by their local office. The local office is responsible for getting an authorization form to the College’s Financial Aid Office so that tuition and books can be paid for.

Chapter 33

This chapter is for veterans, spouses and children.  It pays tuition (based on percentage rating), provides stipends for books, and pays a basic monthly housing allowance. The tuition money is sent to the College, and the book stipend and housing allowance is paid straight from the VA to the student via check or direct deposit. In order to be eligible for the full housing allowance, students must be full time and must have at least one campus course.  If the student is less than full-time, the allowance will be prorated.  Students must have at least seven hours or more to qualify for the housing allowance period. For individuals whose eligibility rating is less than 100 percent, the housing allowance will be paid based on percentage (60 percent, 70 percent, 80 percent, etc.).

Chapter 36

This chapter is designed to provide professional, educational, vocational and career counseling services to service members, veterans and dependents.  This benefit is available to service members within six months of anticipated discharge, veterans within one year following discharge from active duty, and service member or veteran currently eligible for a VA education benefit and all current VA education beneficiaries.  These are the VA forms you will need for counseling VAF 28-8832, VAF 22-1990, VAF 28-1902 and VAF 28-8606.  Information about this benefit can be found by clicking here. 

Tuition Assistance

This benefit is for active duty reserve veterans only. Neither spouses nor children can receive this benefit.  Veterans must apply for this benefit through Upon approval, he/she must submit a Tuition Assistance Authorization form to the College’s Financial Aid Office so the tuition can be paid. This covers tuition and fees only (no books or housing allowance).

State VA

This benefit is for spouses and children of a disabled veteran. The veteran has to have at least a 20 percent service-connected disability and must be a resident of the State of Alabama when they enlisted.  If the veteran was not a resident of the State of Alabama at the time of enlistment, but they have lived in Alabama for five years or longer, they may qualify.  State VA pays tuition and a portion of fees and books.  State VA does not cover $19 per credit hour of fees, nor do they cover remedial courses.  Remaining balances can be paid for by cash or alternative methods of financial aid.

How To Apply:

New applicants

Chapters 30, 33, 1606 and 1607 – Go to the VA website (, and complete a 22-1990 form.  The Financial Aid Office will certify the form and will mail the application to Muskogee, OK.  The VA strongly urges all veterans to use the electronic process for completing this form.  The VA will contact the student by mail letting them know their eligibility. The College’s Financial Aid Office requires a copy of the DD214 (discharge notification), along with a completed in-house form known as the Statement of Understanding.

VA Statement of Understanding

Chapter 33, Post 911 – Students need to submit a copy of their certificate of eligibility once they receive it from the VA.

Chapter 35 – Students must go to the VA website ( and complete a 22-5490 form.  The Financial Aid Office will mail the form to the VA, which will experience a longer delay due to mail service. These same steps apply to the other chapters when  mailing applications.

Established VA students

Veteran students who have received benefits through Chapter 30, 33, 1606 or 1607, are required to complete a 22-1995 form.  The Financial Aid Office requires a completed 22-1995, along with a copy of the DD214 and a completed in-house form known as the Statement of Understanding.  Chapter 35 established veterans will need to fill out a 22-5495 and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.

Request for Certification of Enrollment

New dependents for Post 911

Veterans must go to the Department of Defense website (DOD) and elect how many months of benefits they wish to transfer to their child or spouse. Once the Department of Defense approves their request, the veteran can complete the application online at or can complete a paper 22-5490 form. Once receiving a certificate of eligibility, the veteran needs to submit a copy to the Financial Aid Office.  The Financial Aid Office will require a copy of the veteran’s certificate of eligibility if the veteran is applying for Chapter 33, Post 911.

Established Dependents for Post 911

Veterans must complete a 22-5495 and submit a copy of their certificate of eligibility to the Financial Aid Office.

Tuition Assistance

To apply for tuition assistance, the veteran will need to access  Once Go Army Ed approves the tuition assistance, the veteran needs to submit a copy of the Tuition Assistance Authorization form to the Financial Aid Office.

State VA

A veteran must apply within the county they live in. To locate a number for their county office, the veteran can go to  On the left-hand side of the website, choose County Veterans’ Service Office, then choose the county of residency.

ANGEAP - Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program

An award to be used for tuition, educational fees and books/supplies for Alabama National Guard members to attend a public postsecondary educational institution in Alabama.  Awards limited to $600 per term and no more than $2,000 per year.  Applications are available at Alabama National Guard units.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation is an agency providing funding for education.  To contact this agency, call (251) 441-5616.
GI Bill Comparison Tool

Thanks to VA’s new GI Bill® Comparison Tool, Veterans can now find information online about Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits and the schools and training programs available to education beneficiaries.  Before this tool launched, estimating how much beneficiaries may receive under the Post-9/11 GI Bill benefit was challenging. The new comparison tool makes it easy to estimate Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits with just one click.

In addition, Veterans can find and compare information on our 10,000+ approved education and training programs, including estimated tuition and fee amounts and your projected housing allowance. Also available are each school’s graduation rate, student loan default rate and Yellow Ribbon participation. Together, the GI Bill benefit estimator and school comparison information enable students to compare education options and make the best decision for their future.  In the future, VA will add additional functionality to the tool, including the ability to compare up to three schools side-by-side.

Veteran Employment Website

Newly launched Employment Center available on  Please click the following link to read the White House Press Release.

The Department of Veterans Affairs worked closely with our federal partners to develop the Employment Center, which is the single federal source for Veterans looking for new career opportunities in the private and public sectors, as well as Servicemembers transitioning to the civilian workforce, military spouses and dependents looking for employment opportunities, G.I. Bill® beneficiaries transitioning from training to the job market and employers looking to connect with high quality applicants. This new site integrates multiple tools and resources for both job seekers and employers, including the Veterans Job Bank.

For a step-by-step introduction to the site, watch this video:

If you or someone you know is a Veteran, Service member, military spouse or a dependent who is either unemployed or looking for a different career opportunity, I strongly encourage you to check out the new Employment Center.   Once on the site you will be able to use the Skills Translator to translate your military skills to civilian skills or skip directly to building a resume with the Resume Builder tool. Resumes created on the site will be available for viewing by both private and public sector employers who are specifically looking to hire Veterans. Please, visit and click on the Employment Center tab on the top navigation bar to create and post your resume. This will ensure that employers looking to hire Veterans like you have access to your resume online.