Transfer and Transient Students


Admission of Transfer Students:

The Alabama Articulation Program (also called STARS – Statewide Transfer & Articulation Reporting System) is a computerized articulation and transfer planning system designed to inform students who attend Alabama community colleges about degree requirements, course equivalents, and other transfer information pertaining to specific majors at each state funded four-year institution.  STARS is an efficient and effective way of providing students, counselors, and educators with accurate information upon which transfer decisions can be made.  STARS is the information link between the state’s public two-year and four-year institutions.  The STARS database, if used properly, can prevent the loss of course credit hours, can provide direction for the scheduling of course work, and can ease the transition from one institution to another.  Students who are interested in receiving a “Transfer Guide & Contract” should contact the Student Development Office or visit  our website. Any student applicants who have previously attended another regionally accredited postsecondary institution will be considered transfer students and will be required to furnish official transcripts of all work attempted at all said institutions.  the College may also require of transfer students those documents required of first-time college students. Transfer students who meet requirements for admission to courses creditable toward an Associate Degree shall be classified as “Degree-Eligible” students.  Transfer students who do not meet these requirements shall be classified as “Non-Degree-Eligible” students.

Admission Appeals:
Applicants who have been suspended from another institution for academic or disciplinary reasons will not be considered for admission except upon appeal to the Admissions Committee. All requests, stating the reason why applicants want to be considered for admission to the College, must be submitted in written form. The correspondence, along with a copy of the applicant’s transcript from the institution placing the applicant on suspension, should be addressed to the Admission Committee, c/o Dean of Student Development at the College’s address. All written requests must be received in the above referenced office by the first day of class of the term applicants are seeking to enroll, in order to be considered for admission to the College for said term.

Unconditional Admission of Transfer Students:
1. For Unconditional Admission, transfer students must have submitted to the College an application for admission and official transcripts from all regionally accredited postsecondary institutions attended and any other documents required for first time college students.
2. Students who attend another postsecondary institution and who wish to earn credits for transfer to that parent institution may be admitted to the College as transient students.
Students must submit an application for admission and an official letter from the institution they have been attending which certifies that the credits they earn at the College will be accepted as a part of their academic program. Such students are not required to file transcripts of their previously earned credits at other postsecondary institutions.
3. Applicants who have completed the Baccalaureate Degree will be required to submit only the transcript from the institution granting the Baccalaureate Degree.

Conditional Admission of Transfer Students:

Transfer students who do not have on file official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended and any additional documents required by the institution may be granted Conditional Admission. No transfer students shall be allowed to enroll for a second semester unless all required admissions records have been received by the College prior to registration for the second semester.

If all required admissions records have not been received by the College prior to issuance of first-semester grades, the grades will be reported on the transcript, but the transcript will read CONTINUED ENROLLMENT DENIED PENDING RECEIPT OF ADMISSIONS RECORDS. This notation will be removed from the transcript only upon receipt of all required admissions records.

Initial Academic Status of Transfer Students:

1. Transfer students whose cumulative grade point average at the transfer institution(s) is 2.0 or above on a 4.0 scale will be admitted on Clear academic status.
2. Transfer students whose cumulative GPA at the transfer institution(s) is less than 2.0 on a 4.0 scale will be admitted only on Academic Probation. The transcript will read ADMITTED ON ACADEMIC PROBATION.
3. Applicants who have been academically suspended from another regionally accredited postsecondary institution may be admitted as transfer students only after following the appeal process established at the institution for “native” students who have been academically suspended. If transfer students are admitted upon appeal, they will enter the institution on Academic Probation. Their transcript will read ADMITTED UPON APPEAL–ACADEMIC PROBATION.

General Principles for Transfer of Credit

1. Courses completed at other regionally accredited postsecondary institutions with a passing grade (D or higher, without being on probation or suspension) will be accepted for transfer as potentially creditable toward graduation requirements. Transfer students admitted on academic probation will have only course grades of “C” or better accepted for transfer.
2. Awarding of transfer credit to fulfill graduation requirements will be based on applicability of the credits to the requirements of the degree sought.
3. Credit may be extended based on a comprehensive evaluation of demonstrated and documented competencies and previous formal training.


Students who are currently attending another accredited college or university and who are in good standing may be admitted to the College as transient students.

Transient students in good standing must provide written authorization from the postsecondary institution in which they are currently enrolled that courses selected at the College have been approved for transferable credit. The transient form must be submitted at the same time the students apply for admission.


Applicants must complete the Application for Admission form which may be obtained upon request from the Admissions Office of the College or on the website.

Applicants must request that an official “Letter of Transiency,” properly signed by the Dean or Registrar at the postsecondary institution in which they are currently enrolled, be mailed directly to the Admissions Office.